It was conceived as a multipurpose hall to host, alternatively and without prior scheduling, different shows and events: puppets, marionettes, conjurers, music schools, theatrical and light opera companies and opera performances. It was often used as dance hall for festivals, night-long parties, corporate parties, meeting room for exams, elections, political meetings, patriotic and civil celebrations.
In 1951, it was turned into a cinema.
In 1980, on the ruins of the old theatre, the current City Theatre was built from scratch and named after Vincenzo Bellini. Since 1993 it has been proposing plays and music.