The first public Theatre in Cremona was built in 1747, where the current Ponchielli theatre stands, by Giovanni Battista Zaist, with an all-wooden structure destroyed by a fire in 1806. It was rebuilt two years later with the current shapes by Luigi Canonica, apprentice of Piermarini.
Another fire seriously damaged the building in 1824: it was immediately restored by Faustino Rodi and Luigi Voghera.
Further works on the decorations of the hall and of the entrance halls were carried out during the 19th century and in the first half of the past century.
Acquired by the Municipality in 1986, the Theatre of Cremona, named, at the beginning of the 20th century, after Amilcare Ponchielli, underwent radical restoration and technological accommodation.
Since 2003, it has been managed by a Foundation.