The current village has Roman origins, when it was known as Calianum. Its fortification dates back to the l X Century. It was placed under the jurisdiction of the Monastery of Saint John of the Pipia in the XII century to which Buoso da Dovaraand the Bishop of Cremona alternated. In the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries it was the theatre of battles between the Guelfs and Ghibellines. The Ciria, Pallavicino, Pesciwith family connections to the Picenardi and the Manfredi families had properties. At the beginning of the Nineteenth century a veritable war of image and prestige exploded between the landed aristocracies. Between 1804 and 1820 the Marquis Antonio Maria PallavicinoClavellohad the residence bought from the Pesce renovated in neoclassical style by the architects Giuseppe Zanojaand Luigi Voghera giving it a fine English-style park. The appearance the castle has today is the result of a reconstruction in neo-gothic style ordered by the marquis Giuseppe Manfrediduring the 1830’s and entrusted to the architect Luigi Voghera. The original heart of the building was the ancient tower of the Ciria called the “Columbarone”, to which new buildings were added throughout the centuries, the owners of whom were the Pesce and then the Manfredi in their capacity of legitimate heirs. The castle has an English-style park with a small lake and coffee house. The sacred ornaments of the Parish Church of Saint Donnino the martyr built at the end of the Nineteenth century (designed by Giuseppe Pellini) bear witness to the presence of the Pallaviconos; it has altars, statues and paintings (including an altar-piece by Chiaveghino) of great value. About one and a half kilometres from the village of Cicognolowe come to the historic closed-courtyard farm of DossoPallavicino, belonging in the Sixteenth century to the Ciria family and later purchased by the Pallavicino. Outside we find the oratory dedicated to the Nativity of the Virgin Mary built in 1669 and extended and restored in 1830 which still today enjoys a privilege granted by Pope Pius VII, according to which a plenary indulgence can be gained on the 8th September of every year, during the celebration of the birth of the Virgin Mary.