Historical centres

Gabbioneta-Binanuova

The municipality of Gabbioneta-Binanuova was founded in 1928 from the merging of two villages located on the right bank of the river Oglio. In Gabbionetathere is a castle dating back

Read more

Gussola, town centre

The village lays in a strategic place on the river bank, and was often a cause of military quarrels among several factions. The VIII century Santa Maria church, hosting some

Read more

Isola Dovarese - Historic center

The scenographic piazza Matteotti (1587) is owed to the historic presence of the Lords of Mantua and was created by Giulio Brunelli on the site of the ancient piazza d’Armi

Read more

Marcaria - town centre

The Municipality of Marcaria is the second largest, in terms of how far it extends, in the province of Mantua (9970 hectares) and is situated on the lowland to the

Read more

Martignana Po, town centre

 


The ancient S. Stefano parish church, rebuilt in neo-classical style in XIX century, hosts interesting paintings, such as the “Lady with the Child” and the “Three saints”

Read more

Motta Baluffi, town centre

You may want to have a look, among the rest, to the town hall, a late XIX century building reminding XV century Lombard architecture, and St. Cataldo parish church

Read more

Ostiano, town centre

Only a part of the walls and two towers remain from the 1519 AD castle, as an important evidence of Gonzagas' domination. The XVI century single-naved S. Michele parish church

Read more

Pessina Cremonese, town centre

Pessina has two sacred buildings: the XVIII century S. Giorgio parish church by T. Venturini, and S. Antonio Abate oratory, built in XIV century and later renovated. A nice excursion

Read more

Piadena, town centre

Its past make Piadena a charming historical and cultural stage. Several findings from different ages are actually preserved in the local museums, such as the Archaeological Museum, housed in the

Read more

Piazza XXIII Aprile

When Carlo II Gonzaga, Prince of Bozzolo, San Martino dall'Argine and Marcaria died in 1555, Pomponesco was passed to his youngest child, Giulio Cesare Gonzaga.
His arrival in 1579

Read more

Pomponesco – town centre

The orthogonal layout of the streets reflects the town-planning project by  Giulio Cesare Gonzaga at the end of the XVI century, which included the building of a pentagonal castle surrounded

Read more

Rivarolo Mantovano - town centre

The totally Renaissance charm of this village is due to the work of Vespasiano Gonzaga, a young duke from nearby Sabbioneta, who had the entire historic centre transformed into a

Read more

Rivarolo del Re ed Uniti, town centre

Villa La Todeschina and S. Zenone parish church are its most interesting buildings. The latter, built in XVIII century, has a frescoed façade depicting St. Zenon, and hosts a "Madonna"

Read more

Sabbioneta – Historic center

Sabbioneta is located on the southwestern limit line of the Mantua area. The star-shaped city is surrounded by medieval walls and maintains the classic style that Vespasiano Gonzaga gave to it.

Read more

San Daniele Po, town centre

You may want to pay a visit to neo-Gothic S. Daniele church and XVII century Sommo con Porto church, standing the flood plain. Still, the Palaeontological Museum hosts interesting minerals,

Read more

Scandolara Ravara, Historic center

Already inhabited in Roman times, as proven by some important finds discovered in the area; particularly interesting is the Gothic Old Church, with its frescoes dating back to the beginning

Read more

Solarolo Rainerio, town centre

The ancient S. Stefano parish church, rebuilt in neo-classical style in XIX century, hosts interesting paintings, such as the “Lady with the Child” and the “Three saints” by Galeazzo Campi

Read more