For many years fought over by the duchies of Mantua, Milan and Venice, over the years, Casalmaggiore assumed the appearance of a fortified village, of which a tower remains. Of great interest is Piazza Garibaldi, where we find the Town Hall, a neo-gothic building of 1895. A short distance away we find the Theatre, designed by Andrea Monesin 1783 and the Renaissance Palazzo Manganelli, with its arcaded front decorated with friezes.
The Cathedral of Saint Stephen is impressive and was built in neoclassical style by Fermo Zuccari in the XIX century, and still conserves works by Malosso, Moncalvo and Mastelletta. Opposite we find the church of Saint Clare, with its open-work façade with a double row of loggias, and the neoclassical Palazzo Mina. Finally we mention the interesting exhibition in the Jewellery Museum and the Diotti Museum, designed to house all the town’s works of art.